The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, South Africa
African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI)
Project under cover
The Project will include the installation and operation of solar panels (PV arrays) with a projected output of 40 megawatts. The electricity generated by the power plant will feed into the national grid network through a 220kV transmission line that passes through the project site. As Kenya is located on the equator and extends four degrees on either side, it receives a considerable amount of solar radiation. Based on The World Bank and International Finance Corporation data platform, The Global Solar Atlas, Uasin Gishu county in the Great Rift Valley has an annual average Global Horizontal Irradiation (GHI) of 2,262 kWh/m2. The Horizontal Irradiation P50 case at the project site will be 2,255 kWh/m2. The Solar PV project will use a Single Axis Tracking System (i.e. PV panels are fixed to mountings which track the sun’s movement) and will generate an estimated 123,745,404 kWh of electricity annually.
The Project is located in Plateau Area, Kesses Division of Uasin Gishu County about 15 km from the main Eldoret-Nakuru Highway and 20 km from Eldoret Town. The land is approximately 630 acres in area but the project will utilize only 371 acres (150 ha) representing 59% of the entire land area leaving the remaining 41% for continued agricultural activities.
More detailed information on the project’s environmental and social impacts can be found in the Environmental and Social Impact Assessement. A non-technical summary of the project can be found here.
Complaints and queries related those projects can be submitted via AEGF’s complaint mechanism or general contact form.